Subject: Re: Getting a MacOS 7.x boot disk
To: Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/2004 19:14:49
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Magnus Henoch wrote:

> I have once downloaded a floppy image of the 7.5 Network Access Disk:
>
> http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin
>
> and somehow written it to a floppy using a PC dualbooting NetBSD/i386
> and Windows 95, and booted an LC475 with it.  This was a long time
> ago, so I don't remember all the details.
>
> First, I needed to extract the raw disk image.  There are some
> binary-only tools for that in pkgsrc, and some Windows shareware - I
> don't remember which worked best.

	Using archivers/stuffit I can get from
	Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin to
	'Network Access Disk 7.5.sea.data' (and friends), which purports
	to be another SIT image. Trying to unstff that again dies with
		Network Access/Network Access Disk Read Me
		Network Access/Network Access.image Segmentation fault
	:(

> Then, I needed to shave off the first X bytes of the disk image; I
> believe it was 73 or something.  (found that number on a mailing list
> archive, can't find it now) After that, I wrote it to a floppy with
> dd.
>
> I still have a file which I strongly believe is this image around; I
> compressed it and put it at
> http://w1.312.comhem.se/~u31227643/macboot.img.gz ; I wish good luck
> to everyone interested.

	That was perfect! With that dd'ed to a floppy I now have the SE/30
	booting. Next step is to start looking on ebay for a network card
	and some 16MB sims to replace the 4MB it has!

	Many thanks!

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --