Subject: Re: Getting a MacOS 7.x boot disk
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2004 21:38:02
David Brownlee <abs@absd.org> writes:

> 	I've just picked up an SE/30 with a unbootable MacOS installation
> 	(even with shift held down). Hopefully its just the install and
> 	not hardware...
>
> 	What would be the best way to make a MacOS boot floppy, given
> 	access to a MacOSX G5 with USB floppy drive, and various PCs
> 	running NetBSD or Windows... Also - from where should I download
> 	the images?

I have once downloaded a floppy image of the 7.5 Network Access Disk:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

and somehow written it to a floppy using a PC dualbooting NetBSD/i386
and Windows 95, and booted an LC475 with it.  This was a long time
ago, so I don't remember all the details.

First, I needed to extract the raw disk image.  There are some
binary-only tools for that in pkgsrc, and some Windows shareware - I
don't remember which worked best.

Then, I needed to shave off the first X bytes of the disk image; I
believe it was 73 or something.  (found that number on a mailing list
archive, can't find it now) After that, I wrote it to a floppy with
dd.

I still have a file which I strongly believe is this image around; I
compressed it and put it at
http://w1.312.comhem.se/~u31227643/macboot.img.gz ; I wish good luck
to everyone interested.

Regards,