Subject: Re: NuBus cards conflict (Re: Daystar Accelerators)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/2004 21:58:36
On 2004/01/21, at 8:18, Allen Briggs wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:08:28AM +0900, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:
>> Thanks a lot.
>> I'm reading hardly with a dictionary, I regret my poor english and
>> less understanding of NetBSD. The conception "interrupt" is difficult
>> to understand for me. My English-Japanese dictionary shows a strange
>> translation for "interrupt", and it makes me confused much ;)

I find dictionary.goo.ne.jp to be a very useful resource:

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?
MT=interrupt&ej.x=35&ej.y=11&kind=&mode=0

(Assuming that doesn't get clipped or wrapped.)

>> TAMA's IIci has Rudius GS/C and 2 Asante MacCon Ethernet, right?
>> Why do they make a conflict?
>
> In the Macintosh, all Nubus cards share one interrupt wire to the
> system.  So if one nubus card would like to interrupt the CPU, we
> don't know which one it is.

Ouch.

I recall the 68k provided for peripherals putting a code that could be
used for a device code (so to speak) on the bus during the interrupt
response cycles. Did the nubus spec prevent using that, or was it just
Apple's corner-cutting?