Subject: Re: another ethernet/scsi question
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@comcast.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2004 09:43:32
Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:

>Hi,
>
>At 2:01 AM -0700 04.1.12, Lucas Reddinger wrote:
>

>>I know that this has been asked about _many_ times in the past. I do my
>>research. Yes, I have an Asante EN/SC SCSI adapter. I also have the
>>disks. Would anyone be interested in reverse engineering the drivers?
>>It's not documentation, but it may be able to help with a driver, if
>>someone is interested.
>>

>I think I have all kind of Asante EN/SC adapter including for PowerBooks.
>I've tested them on NetBSD-1.6, but unfortunatly all of them didn't work.
>They say that making Asante EN/SC driver for NetBSD is hard because
>no source code is available.

Part of the problem with *any* of the SCSI-Ethernet adapters (except for
the Cabletron) is the fact that there are no published interfaces. In
most cases, the company has, by now, either gone out of business or
moved on and any programming information has been lost.

To further complicate it, from what I've read, the Asante adapters are
especially bad in that they are not even well-behaved SCSI devices. By
that, I mean they do not respond to even simple SCSI commands to
identify themselves.

By comparison, the DayaPORT is a SCSI COMM device and reads and writes
packets using standard SCSI read/write commands. I think the SONIC works
similarly.

Now, if I could just get around to setting up a system with kernel
sources and settling the question I've had for ages... Will a Kinetics
EtherSC (KSEM-1) work with the Cabletron (se) driver after I add the
correct id strings? I've finally gotten my hands on an EtherSC, so it's
really just a matter of doing the grunt work.

>>Anyone? If not, any tips before I embark on a long and painful
>>adventure?
>>

>I have nothing, just guessing it might be "a long and painful adventure",
>and I'm surely know they are waiting for "Asante EN/SC supported".
>Good luck to your adventure. Please let us know when you get a progress.

If you've got a PC with SCSI, you could try to set up a BasiliskII
configuration to talk to the EN/SC. BasiliskII has the ability to log
SCSI activity to a file, so it might give you an idea what is going on.

<<<John>>>