Subject: Re: Daystar Accelerators (Re: fpu trap with current from 2 Jan)
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2004 00:44:23
Hi,
At 11:30 AM -0800 04.1.16, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>Konnichi wa, ikaga desu ka? :)
  I'm getting better and very glad to see you all again in this list. Arigatou.

>Correct; when I was using a Daystar PowerCache 50MHz '030 with my IIci, I
>had a set of patches for 1.5.2. Unfortunately, I have not seen these patches
>for 1.6.x unless they have already been added into the kernel source -- I'm
>still using 1.5.x on my IIci.

Thanks for your info.
I saw some 'daystar patch' related files such as locore.s, and I found 1.6
sources are changed drastically. Just guessing, it's not easy to make
a patch for 1.6 or to commit it to the tree.
Isn't there any way except just waiting for? I feel regret I can do nothing.

At 10:28 PM +0100 04.1.16, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>I've used a 50MHz Daystar accelerator (don't know the name, had separate
>socket for 68882) in my IIci and had acceleration under 1.6

Do you see 'P33' at the left under corner on CPU side? if not, it is not type
P33. I don't know that card name neither. I guess it has not any special
name, just "DayStar Universal PowerCache" and it is the tipical card.
Type P33 is something special, sorry I'm not sure. I lost my USER MANUAL:(

>A Daystar 33MHz 68040 also worked.
>
>However I don't know if the cache was enabled.
>
>> For this to work, however, the PowerCache control panel had to be installed
>> and turned on in MacOS; otherwise, NetBSD could not see it.
>
>I didn't have to do anything.

Would you please do dhrystone2, and let me know the resolts? because
I got a strange resolts on 1.6.

IIci (DayStar card not installed)
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    149.1
Dhrystones per Second:                                   6706.9

IIci + DayStar PowerCache 50MHz (CDEV/PowerCache OFF)
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    169.0
Dhrystones per Second:                                   5917.2

This means if CDEV/Power Central/PowerCache is turned OFF or
Power Central is not installed, NetBSD runs slower on it than normal IIci.
I hardly believe this. How about yours?

When cache is enabled, dhrystone2 returns the resolt like this;
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    70.2
Dhrystones per Second:                               14245.0

my procedure is;

{1}  su
{1}  pkg_add ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6/mac68k/\
benchmarks/dhrystone-2.1.tgz
{2}  pkg_info
{3}  reboot

{1}  dry2
>Dhrystone Benchmark, Version 2.1 (Language: C)
>Program compiled without 'register' attribute
>Number of runs through the benchmark:
I put [100000]

Power Central v1.3 (Driver for DayStar PowerCache) download:
The Mac Driver Museum
http://www.macdrivermuseum.com/accel.shtml

Thanks,
Kazu Inanaga