Subject: Re: Daystar Accelerators (Re: fpu trap with current from 2 Jan)
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/2004 05:08:41
Hi,

At 11:26 AM -0500 04.1.16, Joshua Coombs wrote:

>I don't have a powercache in the SE/30 yet.  I'm missing a right angle
>adapter that Gamba makes or a Stratos TwinSpark that'll let me run the
>powercache and ethernet at the same time.
>
>The other option I have is to find the SE/30 PDS to Powercache adapter,
>instead of the IIsi one I've got now... and track down a scsi ethernet
>adapter.

Do you have PowerCache already? If yes, Please don't read below :)

If you are rich, I guess so, the easiest way to make fastest SE/30 is
purchasing "DiiMO 030 Accelerator for SE/30" from MicroMac for $249.
http://www.micromac.com/products/diimo_030.html

According to that page, It has a pass through connector for PDS card,
so no problem to put '030 PDS NIC.
Check also MicroMac DiiMO-030 50MHz FAQ;
http://www.micromac.com/FAQ/faq_diimo.html

I think DiiMO-030 50MHz is the best accelerator for '030 NetBSD/mac68k
box because it does not require anything special. Any version of NetBSD
which I tested can boot with this accelerator, including 1.6.1 and 1.6ZH.
Can you believe that? What a nice accelerator it is. It's also one of
the fastest '030 of course.

1.6.1 + DiiMO-030 50MHz (CDEV ON)
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    58.5
Dhrystones per Second:                               17094.0

WOW, this is very fast. Compare with DayStar PowerCache.

1.5.2 DayStar Patched kernel
     + DayStar PowerCache (CDEV ON)
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    70.2
Dhrystones per Second:                               14245.0

... but on 1.6ZH, DiiMO-030 50MHz gets slow down. I don't know what's
going on -current.
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    91.3
Dhrystones per Second:                               10948.9

I'm not rich, and I didn't have any suitable adapter for SE/30, but I found
DayStar Turbo 040 works with "DiiMOCache Mac IIsi adapter" on SE/30.
(I got DiiMOCache 50MHz with IIsi adapter for $10.00 or a little bit more
on eBay(USA) several years ago. I was lucky, but it cost much more for
shipping to JAPAN, anyway..)
This adapter has both accelerator slot and '030 PDS slot. The only, but BIG
problem is DiiMOCache Mac IIsi adapter does NOT fit SE/30 physically, so
I had to move drives and cut some metal frame.

What kind of adapter do you have, same as mine? Don't you like to do cut
the SE/30's metal frame? Yes, I think everyone dislike such silly :)

About SCSI to Ethernet adaptor:
Cabletron EA41x is supported by NetBSD. It works fine with Quadra650
on 1.6.1, but does not work with my LC III+ or Classic II ('030 Macs).
I've not tested it with SE/30 yet, maybe next week.
The big problem is that Cabletron EA41x is very rare and too hard to get,
isn't it?

One more meddling:
When I planned to make a faster SE/30, I had to consider about the Power
Unit (including Analog Board) condition. It has been getting powerless
while more than 15? years. I've checked 4 of SE and SE/30 Power Units,
and all of them are too weak to bootup with max. RAM, Accelerator, '030
PDS NIC and CPU cooling fan.

At 2:08 PM -0800 03.12.3, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
>I'm thinking of (trying to) reload netbsd on my SE/30.
>
>I remember hearing about 128MB of RAM and a 4GB HD. I could be imagining
>it, though.

I made "SE/40" finally with gathered junkie parts. It has 128MB RAM,
6.1GB HDD and DayStar Turbo 040, runs at 44.44MHz. It was a very
interesting work. I'll put some photos on my webpage next week. I hope
it will make a small hint for making fat or,and fast SE/30.

Thanks,
Kazu Inanaga