Subject: Re: Daystar Accelerators (Re: fpu trap with current from 2 Jan)
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/2004 15:42:39
> I think DiiMO-030 50MHz is the best accelerator for '030 NetBSD/mac68k
> box because it does not require anything special. Any version of NetBSD
> which I tested can boot with this accelerator, including 1.6.1 and 1.6ZH.
> Can you believe that? What a nice accelerator it is. It's also one of
> the fastest '030 of course.
>
> 1.6.1 + DiiMO-030 50MHz (CDEV ON)
> Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    58.5
> Dhrystones per Second:                               17094.0
>
> WOW, this is very fast. Compare with DayStar PowerCache.
>
> 1.5.2 DayStar Patched kernel
>      + DayStar PowerCache (CDEV ON)
> Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    70.2
> Dhrystones per Second:                               14245.0
>
> ... but on 1.6ZH, DiiMO-030 50MHz gets slow down. I don't know what's
> going on -current.
> Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    91.3
> Dhrystones per Second:                               10948.9

Wow, quite the difference.  Now if I can just find a bank to rob. : )

> I'm not rich, and I didn't have any suitable adapter for SE/30, but I found
> DayStar Turbo 040 works with "DiiMOCache Mac IIsi adapter" on SE/30.
> (I got DiiMOCache 50MHz with IIsi adapter for $10.00 or a little bit more
> on eBay(USA) several years ago. I was lucky, but it cost much more for
> shipping to JAPAN, anyway..)
> This adapter has both accelerator slot and '030 PDS slot. The only, but BIG
> problem is DiiMOCache Mac IIsi adapter does NOT fit SE/30 physically, so
> I had to move drives and cut some metal frame.
>
> What kind of adapter do you have, same as mine? Don't you like to do cut
> the SE/30's metal frame? Yes, I think everyone dislike such silly :)

I've got Daystars IIsi cache adapter, which is pretty much the same as
what you have.  There is a guy out there that has modified 120pin VME
bus adapters such that you can stuff an asante ethernet adapter in, the
adapter, and a powercache without modifying the SE/30's internals.  He's
fallen off the net recently though so I haven't been able to get one.

> About SCSI to Ethernet adaptor:
> Cabletron EA41x is supported by NetBSD. It works fine with Quadra650
> on 1.6.1, but does not work with my LC III+ or Classic II ('030 Macs).
> I've not tested it with SE/30 yet, maybe next week.
> The big problem is that Cabletron EA41x is very rare and too hard to get,
> isn't it?

They show up on ebay every now and then.  I'm really curious how they
perform compared to a PDS nic.

> I made "SE/40" finally with gathered junkie parts. It has 128MB RAM,
> 6.1GB HDD and DayStar Turbo 040, runs at 44.44MHz. It was a very
> interesting work. I'll put some photos on my webpage next week. I hope
> it will make a small hint for making fat or,and fast SE/30.

Hrmm... maybe I will go ahead and work on rack mounting my SE/30 just
for giggles anyways.  If I can get the specs for the power supply I may
forgo the monitor...  also a good chance the SE/30 will be retired if I
can't quickly hop it up.  The website I'm running using it for a mysql
box just isn't snappy enough.

Joshua Coombs