Subject: Re: Daystar Accelerators (Re: fpu trap with current from 2 Jan)
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/2004 11:26:00
> >I'm pushing an SE/30 with 128MB ram, a 36GB 10k RPM HD, and as soon
> >as I can get my grubby hands on a right angle adapter, internal
> >ethernet and a 68030@50mhz Daystar PowerCache.  It's happily running
> >NetBSD as we speak.
>
> After reading this post, I remember I have some benchmarks on IIci
> with Daystar PowerCache 50MHz at that time (March 2003).
>      Card type=P33, CDEV=Power Central v.2.2/PowerCache
>
> Dhrystone Benchmark, Version 2.1 (Language: C)
> Program compiled without 'register' attribute
> Number of runs through the benchmark: 100000
>
> NetBSD-1.6 + normal IIci ('030/24.95 MHz)
> Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    149.1
> Dhrystones per Second:                                   6706.9
>
> NetBSD-1.6 + DAYSTAR PowerCache (CDEV OFF)
> Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    169.3
> Dhrystones per Second:                                   5906.7
> **Dhrystone-2 resolt is worse than normal IIci.
>
> NetBSD-1.6 + DAYSTAR PowerCache (CDEV ON)
> **Freeze in the boot sequence
>
> 1.5.2 DAYSTAR Patched kernel
>      + DAYSTAR PowerCache (CDEV ON)
> Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:    70.2
> Dhrystones per Second:                               14245.0
>

> I tested it on 1.6.1(GENERICSBC) today.
> NetBSD-1.6.1 + DAYSTAR PowerCache (CDEV ON)
> Boot sequence hang up at:
>
> boot device: sd0
> root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> [freeze]
>
> This is same as 1.6. Unfortunately, that 'daystar patch' didn't work
> on 1.6. Does anyone know a patch or something for 1.6x to avoid this?
>
> To: Joshua Coombs
> I'm sorry for bothering you. These tests are all on IIci, not on SE/30.
> Is your SE/30 running with DAYSTAR PowerCache now?

I don't have a powercache in the SE/30 yet.  I'm missing a right angle
adapter that Gamba makes or a Stratos TwinSpark that'll let me run the
powercache and ethernet at the same time.

The other option I have is to find the SE/30 PDS to Powercache adapter,
instead of the IIsi one I've got now... and track down a scsi ethernet
adapter.

Sadly I've not found any of the above yet.

Joshua Coombs