Subject: Re: Cabletron ethernet nubus and 1.6.1
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Michael R.Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/2004 09:06:10
On Jan 13, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:

>> ae0 at nubus0 slot e: failed to determine size of RAM.
>
> Cabletron E9119 DNI Ethernet Card (it seems same card as yours) has
> DP83932
> which is SONIC-based "sn*", not DP8390 based "ae*". I wonder why NetBSD
> recognizes it as "ae*".

The ae driver seems to check the vendor ID and not much else during the
match phase. The sn driver also checks the vendor ID during the match
phase but CABLETRON isn't one of the vendors in the current sources.
Perhaps the ae driver spots a vendor ID of CABLETRON and assumes it can
control the card, shutting out the sn driver.

Maybe the ae and sn drivers can be modified to check more than vendor
ID to verify that the card is really an 8390 vs a SONIC. The sn driver
could also be modified to check for the CABLETRON vendor, which it
currently does not.

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald