Subject: Re: Cabletron ethernet nubus and 1.6.1
To: Taylor Raack <traack@mac.com>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2004 22:15:09
Hi,

At 5:49 PM +0000 03.12.30, Taylor Raack wrote:
>Hi, I'm a newbie to NetBSD and I just installed it on a Performa 630 / Quadra
>630 (upgraded to 68040).  I installed from the binaries. I want to get my
>cabletron nubus ethernet card to work, but alas, netbsd does not recognize the
>ram in the card.

According to "CABLETRON SYSTEMS ETHERNET CARDS INSTALLATION GUIDE", there
are 5 types of Cabletron DNI Ethernet Cards.

    E4000 Series for the Macintosh SE
    E5000 Series for the Macintosh SE/30
    E6000 Series for the Macintosh II Series
    E6100 Series 10BASE-T cards for the Macintosh II Series
    E9000 Series for the Macintosh LC

In the previous posts you indicated, they were talking about "E5000 Series
for the Macintosh SE/30".
I have E6119 (DP83902) which works fine on my Macintosh IIci with 1.6.1
GENERICSBC. I also have E9119 which does not work with 1.6.1 as you pointed.

>ae0 at nubus0 slot e: failed to determine size of RAM.

Cabletron E9119 DNI Ethernet Card (it seems same card as yours) has DP83932
which is SONIC-based "sn*", not DP8390 based "ae*". I wonder why NetBSD
recognizes it as "ae*". It seems that E9119 has not been supported by
NetBSD/mac68k yet. So, I tried it on my LC475(68040).

I have several kinds of LC-PDS NIC, and almost of their ethernet controllers
are "ae*" except Apple Ethernet LC Twisted-Pair Card. It has DP83934,
SONIC-based "sn*", supported by NetBSD. The only, big difference between
Apple Ethernet LC and Cabletron E9119 is Apple Ethernet Ethernet LC = 32 bit
against Cabletron E9119 = 16 bit, I guess.

I have no skill to rewrite a clean source file (I know nothing about
"register"), so, I just put some lines in:
sys/arch/mac68k/nubus/if_sn_nubus.c.
See the details at;
http://www.pp.iij4u.or.jp/~happyday/cabletron_lc.html

I also killed "ae*" (DP8390-based) in GENERIC machine description file,
because if_ae_nubus.c is a "meddler" ;-) No, it means just I don't know the
correct setting.

That's all. Easy work, isn't it? Cabletron E9119 works fine. File transfer
statistics is not slow than Apple Ethernet LC Twisted-Pair Card (64KB
memory) on 1.6.1 GENERIC. I put dmesg and some statistics in that webpage.

>Unfortunately, I don't know how to recompile a kernel, nor where to locate this
>header file or how to properly edit it.  Does anyone have a 1.6.1 kernel which
>has the correct memory settings for the cabletron enet card, or could help me
>in compiling my own?

Do you like to test my crazy file? (Needless to say, it is re-edited by a
novice for Cabletron LC DNI Card testing. It expects to be brush up-ed,
anyway.)
If yes, check the controller chip on your card, first. Do you see "DP83932*"
on it? Then follow the next if you prefer 1.6.1.
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/

It needs about 125MB space for /usr/src, and 4 hours on my
LC475(68040)/40MHz/36MB.
Enjoy compiling your own kernel for Cabletron LC.

Cheers,
kazu inanaga