Subject: Re: Xmac68k_color and grf ioctl's
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: David P. Reese Jr. <daver@gomerbud.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/2004 08:20:25
On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:35:33AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:38:10PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > > Probably best to stick to what you see in <mac68k/grfioctl.h> -- in
> > > other words, GRFIOCGMODE, as undocumented as it is.
> >
> > It's not completely undocumented.  I have the source. :)
> >
> > I'll try to pull in the color support code from Xmac68k_color without
> > any of the mode switching stuff.  Mode switching won't work without
> > some kernel work on grf and those mentioned patches.  If I ever find
> > them, I'll try to adapt them to the wscons framework as it probably has
> > a bit more life in it than grf.
>
> I was thinking of Paul Goyette's SLOTMAN kernels. Take a look here:
>
>   http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-9.html#ss9.14
>   http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/howtos/color-x-howto.html

The SLOTMAN link is dead.  So is the colorkit LKM source link.  I managed
to get the colorkit binary LKM, but I don't feel like reverse engineering
it.

> The details are probably only useful on Mac II's, and you're free to
> suggest any changes you like to the interface. [It probably seems odd
> that you'd need both a custom kernel *and* an LKM, but LKM's have come
> a long way -- until recently, they weren't able to add new ioctls.]

The FAQ leads me to believe that the SLOTMAN kernel and colorkit LKM are
mutually exclusive.

> The mode switching was never advertised as working. Ken Nakata
> originally named it "OSFA", for "one size fits all", because it "just
> worked" on all Macs, in contrast with the i386 server, which requires
> a different driver for each possible video card. The name was opaque
> to everyone else, however, while I think the "_color" thing expresses
> the point well enough.

In the case that I can't find any of the mode switching code, I'll finish
the color support for Xmac68k and then consider looking into a hardware
agnostic Xwscons server.  Examining most of the netbsd only X servers
in the XFree 3.x tree leads me to believe that it can be done without
too much pain.

   David P. Reese, Jr.                                  daver at gomerbud.com
                                               http://www.gomerbud.com/daver/