Subject: Re: Xmac68k_color and grf ioctl's
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: David P. Reese Jr. <daver@gomerbud.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/2004 06:57:36
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:38:10PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
>
> > Where did the ioctl's in grfioctl_extra.h come from?  I can't find anything
> > like GRFIOCSETMODE1 in the kernel source.  It seems like Xmac68k_color
> > was written with the intent of expanding the grf interface.
>
> At one time, there were patches floating around, but they were never
> pulled in for some reason or another. The new cool thing is wscons(4)
> and wsdisplay(9)..., but I can't see a trivial API to get the address
> of the frame buffer. [rasops(9)?]

I think moving to wscons in the long run would be a good idea.  We should
just be able to mmap /dev/ttyE0 for the first macfb.  In order to obtain
the offset, we could add a MACFBIO_GCONF to macfb_ioctl() that would
return some interesting stuff about the frame buffer.  This is how the
hpcfb works.

> Probably best to stick to what you see in <mac68k/grfioctl.h> -- in
> other words, GRFIOCGMODE, as undocumented as it is.

It's not completely undocumented.  I have the source. :)

I'll try to pull in the color support code from Xmac68k_color without
any of the mode switching stuff.  Mode switching won't work without
some kernel work on grf and those mentioned patches.  If I ever find
them, I'll try to adapt them to the wscons framework as it probably has
a bit more life in it than grf.

   David P. Reese, Jr.                                  daver at gomerbud.com
                                               http://www.gomerbud.com/daver/