Subject: Re: New 1.6.1 Install - won't boot
To: Mark Benson <markbenson@mac.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/2004 04:06:22
Hi,

> I just installed NetBSD/mac68k Distribution 1.6.1 on my haxied LC475
> (see: <http://homepage.mac.com/markbenson/q805.html>). It does have a
> full 040 before anyone asks... :)

Good machines. I have a number of them, all running at 40 MHz... Your hack
is definitely a little different!

> Anyhoo, install went smoothly while I was in bed overnight (I'm in the
> UK and it's just turned 8:13am) and I managed to Build Devices
> successfully also. Next stage, following Matt Theobold's Guide, is to
> boot into single user mode. I can't, the booter just reports 'This
> kernel is not in a format which the booter can exectue' and halts the
> Boot.

You probably have to wrong version of the booter. Try this one:
ftp.netbsd.org://pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/misc/Booter2.0.0.sea

Older versions of the booter did not support booting elf kernels.

> I'm pretty dry about this - it's been a job and a half, first my 2GB
> Seagate drive died, meaning I had to use a pair of 512MBs. One drive
> has the NetBSD install on currently, along with a small Mac Partition
> which will carry a stripped System 7.1 for the eventual finished setup,
> as well as the Booter. The other drive, which will be formatted as mkfs
> at a later stage, carries currently a 7.6.1 System (which is what I'm
> running ATM) and all the packages and installation software I needed to
> do the install. I'm running the Booter from the drive that has no
> NetBSD stuff on - is this an issue?

You can tell the booter what drive to look on for the kernel. I don't have
a machine nearby, but there's an option in there somewhere.

Good luck!

John Klos