Subject: Re: Xmac68k building with reachover tools
To: Eric Feldhusen <efeldhusen@chartermi.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2004 11:22:22
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Eric Feldhusen wrote:

> jb13@gomerbud.com wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:24:07AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> >>On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 jb13@gomerbud.com wrote:
> >>
> >>Yikes! A 486 100Mhz only takes about 4 hours! A native build with
> >>sources on a local IDE really does take about 20 hours on my Q630,
> >>but no more than 6 to 8 hours with network mounted sources. I hope
> >>you didn't pay full price for that G3. :-)
>
> This is slightly offtopic, but it's faster over the network than off a
> local harddrive for the mac68k's?  Or just the old drives that you have
> hooked up?

Yes! The drive isn't old. It's a 20Gb Barracuda, and only the outer
tracks, at that. The limitations are ultimately in the controller
hardware (polled IDE). It was snappier when it had multiple SCSI-2
spindles (RIP), but disk I/O was always a factor.

> I wonder how my Q800 would handle a 10k rpm barracuda hooked up to it?

Good choice. It might make a noticable difference, too, to keep "/var"
on a separate spindle.

Frederick