Subject: Re: Upgrading an existing install
To: Ian Baker <idb@videotron.ca>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/2004 14:17:24
On Jan 2, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Ian Baker wrote:

> on 2003/12/31 17:59, David P. Reese Jr. at daver@gomerbud.com wrote:
>
>> The install notes for 1.6.1 do a pretty good job at explaining what is
>> involved in a binary upgrade.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/mac68k/INSTALL.html
>>
>> Look specifically under the "Upgrading a previously-installed NetBSD
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> I had already reviewed this, however, I couldn't figure out how to
> "boot
> from the installer kernel" as described in the Install document
>
> I believe that the documented technique requires "sysinst", and as I
> understand things, this is the normal NetBSD method to install.  On the
> other hand, the mac68k port needs to be installed from within Mac OS,
> and
> can't use "sysinst".

The second statement here isn't entirely true - assuming I understand
what you meant.  The mac68k port can be installed or upgraded using
sysinst that is included in the Installation Kernels.  The key is to
selected the correct Installation Kernel for your system (INSTALL or
INSTALLSBC) and boot into it with the Booter.  You can copy the
Installation Kernel to your Mac OS HFS filesystem if you wish.  You do
not need to un-gzip it before booting it, but you may need to increase
the memory size for the Booter application.

The Installation Kernels do not understand HFS/HFS+ Mac OS filesystems
though.  It will process them from a cd9660 CDROM, NetBSD filesystem,
or via FTP.  You could probably place them on the NetBSD filesystem
that is your upgrade target, but this will require some manual steps
that aren't documented.

> This is the part I can't figure out.

Contact me offline and I'll try and help you through the process.  All
I would ask is that you document what you did and make that available
for others who will follow.

> Does one simply use the Mac OS install tool to overwrite the
> appropriate
> distribution sets (base and kern at a minimum)?
>
> Has anybody actually done an upgrade?

Yes, many times.

-bob