Subject: Re: Upgrading an existing install
To: Ian Baker <idb@videotron.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/2004 13:24:55
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Ian Baker wrote:

> on 2003/12/31 17:59, David P. Reese Jr. at daver@gomerbud.com wrote:
>
> > The install notes for 1.6.1 do a pretty good job at explaining what is
> > involved in a binary upgrade.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/mac68k/INSTALL.html
> >
> > Look specifically under the "Upgrading a previously-installed NetBSD

> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> I had already reviewed this, however, I couldn't figure out how to "boot
> from the installer kernel" as described in the Install document

You can either copy it to the root, and set the name of the kernel to
boot from, in the Booter, to match (i.e. "netbsd-INSTALL.gz"), or you
can copy it into the HFS file system, and tell the Booter to boot from
a "Mac OS" file.

> I believe that the documented technique requires "sysinst", and as I
> understand things, this is the normal NetBSD method to install.  On the
> other hand, the mac68k port needs to be installed from within Mac OS, and
> can't use "sysinst".
>
> This is the part I can't figure out.
>
> Does one simply use the Mac OS install tool to overwrite the appropriate
> distribution sets (base and kern at a minimum)?

That would be really slow.

> Has anybody actually done an upgrade?

Yes, of course. The most popular option is probably to simply unpack
the sets from within NetBSD. I often do this...

   /etc/rc.d/sendmail stop
   mkdir /tmp/temproot
   tar -C /tmp/temproot -xzpf etc.tgz
   for t in base comp man misc text; do tar -C / -xzpf ${t}.tgz; done
   cd /
   etcupdate -al -b /tmp/temproot -p more
   /etc/postinstall -s / fix obsolete

clean out the obsolete minors from "/lib", and "/usr/lib", and reboot.
Make sure you've booted from the new kernel first!

Frederick