Subject: Re: Upgrading an existing install
To: David P. Reese Jr. <daver@gomerbud.com>
From: Ian Baker <idb@videotron.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/2004 14:00:23
on 2003/12/31 17:59, David P. Reese Jr. at daver@gomerbud.com wrote:

> The install notes for 1.6.1 do a pretty good job at explaining what is
> involved in a binary upgrade.
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/mac68k/INSTALL.html
>
> Look specifically under the "Upgrading a previously-installed NetBSD

David,

Thanks for the pointers.

I had already reviewed this, however, I couldn't figure out how to "boot
from the installer kernel" as described in the Install document

I believe that the documented technique requires "sysinst", and as I
understand things, this is the normal NetBSD method to install.  On the
other hand, the mac68k port needs to be installed from within Mac OS, and
can't use "sysinst".

This is the part I can't figure out.

Does one simply use the Mac OS install tool to overwrite the appropriate
distribution sets (base and kern at a minimum)?

Has anybody actually done an upgrade?

Thanks

Ian