Subject: Re: .sea files (was Re: _boothowto)
To: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2003 22:32:49
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Joel Rees wrote:

> > I seem to remember that it's executable on Mac PowerPC only.
>
> Now see what you made me do. 8-)
>
>      http://www.stuffit.com/win/seabuilder/index.html
>
> It looks like Aladdinsys re-purposed the extension. That probably
> earned them a few more raspberries.

You mean all the Mac OS 8.0/mac68k users? More likely, no one noticed.
:-|

> Anyway, my memory is that .sea archives were around before stuffit,
> which would be before the PPC platform. Perhaps the current
> distributions are being compressed by a version of stuffit that no
> longer supports PPC/68K fat? If that's the case, can they be opened
> with a fat version of stuffit or expander?

As I wrote, yes. I also uploaded each of the two file's in Nigel
Pearson's archive to the same directory, as ".bin" and ".bin.uue"
files. The ".bin" is a standard MacBinary file. There are many
non-proprietary tools for dealing with MacBinary. Anarchie, for
instance, will automatically reconstruct the data and resource forks
on download. From the *nix side, there's "macutil" and "hfsutils".

I think Stuffit leaves something to be desired, and that the MacBinary
versions should be committed to the tree (so they get included in the
release automatically). The pkgsrc "unstuff"  only runs on i386, and
even then it dumps core on the Booter-src archive.

Frederick