Subject: Re: macos environment
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <kevdig@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/2003 18:21:22
Hi,

I have no specific application. But you hit what I was after.
Being able to dlopen cpu specific libraries. If I understand
things correctly, a 68040 will RUN floating point code for the
881/882. But it is not optimal. It is my understanding that
the traps that are used to emulate the unimplemented fpu
functions have high overhead (because they are traps and traps
are expensive).

As for just adding something to hw, can we just add something?
Are these covered by any standards?

I am more concerned near term about the first question I
asked. I want 8-bit static color for the quadra 700. If we
could pass a ... color map name to the netbsd kernel
indicating what was loaded by the booter thing couldn't we
easily add 8-bit static color support for the quadra 700?
Isn't the problem that the X server does not know what is in
the colormap and thus can't deal with color calls?

kevin