Subject: Re: serial input on a laserwriter ?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Damiano Giorgi <damianogiorgi@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/2003 00:51:58
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Can the serial port on a laserwriter (to be more precise, a personal
> laserwriter 320) be used as a regular serial port to send plain
> postscript, or do we have to talk appletalk on it ?
> This printer doesn't have parallel input.

I've been asking myself the same question concerning the very same printer.
According to a technical note on Apple's support site ("Printing: TCP/IP
solutions" or something like that) it should be possibile to configure that
printer to act as a regular serial printer, but neither there nor anywhere
else have I been able to find out how to do that. All I came up with is the
PLW320 developer manual, which states that the only communication protocol
that the printer understands is LocalTalk. I'm no expert, but I have a
feeling that what we're trying to accomplish might be possible by hacking
the printer's internal software with some clever raw PostScript code, but I
don't have the first idea of how to do that.

That's all I was able to gather by searching the web. Maybe, if you have a
fast link, a more thorough search would give better results. If you come up
with something interesting, I'd be most grateful if you could drop me a
line. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Damiano Giorgi
Florence, Italy