Subject: Booting without MacOS: The saga continues
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2003 09:59:53
Hello all.

I had an interesting thought this morning. If the problem
with native booting on a Universal-ROM system was setting
up the Resource Manager, why not skip that bit and disable
text output (the only thing that uses resources), and see
if it actually boots?

It did.

My LC II booted an install floppy and then choked because
sysinstall didn't have enough memory to run. The only other
weird things during startup were that the SWIM chip was
tagged as an IWM chip with an unknown revision, the system
time wasn't read correctly, and 1 meg of the memory was
missing.

Anyway, that's my story for today. Make of it what you will.

--Alastair