Subject: Re: lc475 and apple sound chip
To: dade <newageac@libero.it>
From: Michael R.Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/2003 22:19:10
On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 03:03  PM, dade wrote:

> helo
> my lc475 work nice with netbsd 1.6.1, the problem now is the sound
> chip, dmesg show this:
> asc0 at aspio0 Apple Sound Chip. I've tested the sound card with the
> following command:
> cat file.au > /dev/asc0 but it sayd what the device is not
> configureted.
> Somebody know if this chip work? if yes can i have some help? thanks
> at all

The sound chip is recognized but the support for it is very minimal. In
fact, the only support is the system bell. You can't use it to play
general sound files.

It's a shame because the sound chip used in the LC475 is quite a common
sound chip for 68k Macs. If somebody could get around to understanding
how the chip works and writing a real driver, it would allow a number
of machines to fully support sound.

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald