Subject: premature eof during install of base.tgz
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Haas <ghaas@izzaboo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/2003 15:02:39
Hello.

I googled one similar request from a couple years ago on this list but
found no responses/solutions.

Mac SE/30, 20 MB RAM, 1GB HDD (900MP Root&Usr, 40MB swap, ~50MB HFS),
Mode32 Installed.  NetBSD 1.6.1, Installer 1.1h, Booter 2.0.0.a10, 16MB
RAM assigned to Installer...anything I'm forgetting?  Internal HDD with
scsi ID set to zero.  Boot Mac OS off of Mac OS partition #1.  NetBSD
binary sets, installer and booter are on Mac OS partition #2 (along
with Mkfs).

Installer starts writing files then HDD starts chugging when the last
line references ./bin/pax.  The next line, some minutes later reads:
"Premature end of file reached".

Then that line shows up a bunch of times.

I've downloaded base.tgz a couple times.  All other .tgz files install
without a problem.  I can't seem to boot, because I guess not enough of
base.tgz was copied.  I get dumped into db.  (init missing?)  I tried
cpin; write failed after several minutes of chugging along.  But even
if I could successfully cpin base.tgz I can't boot into netBSD to unzip
(or whatever) base.tgz.

I tried sysinst but don't have external CDROM and couldn't get out on
network...so I'm back to traditional install.

Please?  Anyone?  What am I doing wrong?  I've been my head against
this poor Mac for so long I'm afraid I'm missing something obvious.

TIA,
Greg

p.s.   One other question: okay for me to use GENERICSBC, or should I
use GENERIC instead?