Subject: Re: LC III, NetBSD, and Perl
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: nand <nandhpm@netscape.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/2003 12:05:01
John Klos <john@sixgirls.org> wrote:
> Might I assume that you do not have an FPU?

You might. I don't think I have one, but I don't really know and I don't know how to find out.

I did open up the Macintosh and look at the Logic Board. There are two big square chips on the board (one labeled ZILOG, that's SCSI, and the other VLSI). Neither of them say "FPU" or "68 anything". There is also a suspicious empty socket partially hiding underneath the ethernet card.

Low End Mac[1] and Apple's spec page[2] both say that the FPU is optional.

> you can try the FPU-less Perl 5.6.1 binary package.

I think that would be worth a try. The package I've been trying to use is "perl-5.6.1nb7.tgz" in 1.6/mac68k.

-nand

[1] http://www.lowendmac.com/lc/lciii.shtml
[2] http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112201