Subject: Re: Screenblank on mac68k?
To: Jon Fullmer <jon@jonfullmer.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/2003 18:37:58
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Jon Fullmer wrote:

> Has anyone out there gotten screenblank to work on a mac68k machine runni=
ng
> NetBSD.  I=B9m running 1.6.1 on an SE/30, and every time I try to run it,=
 it
> gives me:
>
> Sep 27 11:38:00 hans screenblank: Can't set video on `/dev/ttyE0'
> (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
> Sep 27 11:38:00 hans screenblank: No frame buffer devices, exiting
>
> I can't seem to find any reference as to what the appropriate frame buffe=
> device would be.  Does this program simply not work on mac68k?  Is anyone
> using it, and if so, how?

No, the wscons ioctls for blanking the screen are missing on mac68k.
The *second* choice fallback, the framebuffer, doesn't exist on mac68k
either.

On i386, for example, you can turn off the raster to blank the screen
by writing into a VGA register, and that's what wscons does. If you
can do something like that with the mac68k hardware, no one's figured
out how yet. I believe it should be possible to turn the brightness
down to zero under software control on some of the Quadra's, at least.
I think that's what "Silent Night", the Mac OS screensaver, does. I
know you can adjust the brightness under software control, because
there's a control panel for brightness.

Frederick