Subject: floppy/NFS boot (without mac os)
To: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2003 11:23:32
Hello,

It's amazing to see that we can boot an SE/30 without the Mac OS! The
floppy image posted by Nyef works well, booting the installer kernel.

How would I go about creating a boot floppy image that loads a kernel
which looks for root on nfs?

I've got the kernel, it's just a matter of getting it into a reasonable
floppy image.

Another issue is - this is an experimental machine: our network admins
won't edit the dhcp server to point netboot requests at the appropriate
machine. How can I either prompt for the NFS server containing the root
filesystem, or hard code it? This of course after we've received a valid
address from dchp.

This would be very useful since we can't yet boot directly from the hard
drive.

Any help would be fantastic,

Thanks,

Louis