Subject: RE: localtalk ...
To: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/2003 12:10:24
At 1:44 PM -0500 7/16/03, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
>  >1) connect the printer via serial interface instead of LocalTalk.
>>Then use the computer it's hooked up to (netbsd/netatalk) to export
>>its availability to the network.
>
>This is what I'm interested in doing.
>The 4/600 only has the one data port though.
>If I can speak serial instead of LocalTalk over this port, without
>an adapter, that would be perfect.
>I didn't think this would be possible, but as I've mentioned, this
>isn't my area of expertise.

Most (all?) LaserWriter's will speak serial instead of LocalTalk if
you connect a serial cable instead of a LocalTalk dongle to them.
There may be issues with configuring the serial port, of course.
Also the serial port may not actually support all the config options
it claims to have.  I've never done it myself, but if you can find
out what the default config is that should work.