Subject: Re: Cron not working (current)
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=E9mi_Zara?= <rzara@remi-zara.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/2003 09:19:59
On Sun, 4 May 2003, R=E9mi Zara wrote:

> I did observe some problems with time settings:
>
> In Mac OS 7.6.x, I've set up the time correctly (with time-zone and
> daylight saving).
> The booter correctly guessed the GMT bias (120 minutes for Paris)
> my /etc/localtime is correctly set (to Paris time)
>
> But when booting, the time gets shifted by the GMT bias (2 hours)
> If Mac OS is set to the correct time, NetBSD is not
> And if NetBSD is set to the correct time (via ntpdate), Mac OS time is
> 2 hours early.

You mean NetBSD is on UTC? Does it report the timezone as UTC? If so,
it's not the *time* you need to change, but the time*zone*. Try this:

    ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris /etc/localtime

NetBSD (and unix in general) even allows for the fact that different
users could be in different timezones. So the time that's kept
internally and stamped on the files and file system is always UTC;
users can set their own timezone differently than the system default
by setting ${TZ} in the environment. So that would be

    export TZ=3DEurope/Paris

or in "csh"

    setenv TZ Europe/Paris

Try setting ${TZ} to "America/Chicago" in one shell, for instance, and
notice how the zone notation reported by "date" changes.

Frederick