Subject: Re: Sendmail
To: David Burgess <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/2003 18:11:18
At 8:59 AM -0500 4/8/03, David Burgess wrote:
>Funny you should ask....
>
>We had a huge debate about this when I put in a PR on this.  It's actually
>an issue for several packages (sendmail, qmail, nullmailer, bind9, a
>couple others that I don't remember).
>
>What I usually end up doing is going through the PLIST(s) for the package
>and doing the following:
>
>for i in `cat PLIST* | grep bin`
>do
>   rm -f /usr/$i
>done
>
>This removes the installed system executable and makes the /usr/pkg
>version the highest on the food chain.  People that don't know what
>they're talking about will tell you that this is unneeded, but they won't
>be able to explain precisely why.

The only "why" would be the order which $PATH has listed for the directories.

However, what you do won't actually work for many things like
sendmail. Anything that calls /usr/libexec*/sendmail will still
*only* be looking for /usr/libexec/sendmail, so it will never see
your package version. You would have to grok through any scripts that
you use in order to make sure that none of them call sendmail via an
explicit path as opposed to just using ENVIRONMENT with an executable
name.

Just my thoughts,
Mike

*libexec and/or sbin