Subject: Re: Sendmail
To: None <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: David Burgess <burgess@cynjut.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/2003 08:59:16
Funny you should ask....

We had a huge debate about this when I put in a PR on this.  It's actually
an issue for several packages (sendmail, qmail, nullmailer, bind9, a
couple others that I don't remember).

What I usually end up doing is going through the PLIST(s) for the package
and doing the following:

for i in `cat PLIST* | grep bin`
do
  rm -f /usr/$i
done

This removes the installed system executable and makes the /usr/pkg
version the highest on the food chain.  People that don't know what
they're talking about will tell you that this is unneeded, but they won't
be able to explain precisely why.

I've stopped arguing with them about it.  I do what I have to do to keep
my servers running.

Dave

--
Dave Burgess
CTO and Chief Engineer, Nebraska On-Ramp