Subject: Re: Sendmail timeout from shell
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/2003 15:20:23
>Can you tcpdump(8) the outgoing connection to check whether sendmail is in
>fact timing out on a DNS query and what it is actually trying to resolve?

Not long after I sent the other message, I noticed the -v verbose option
in the sendmail man pages (something I must have gone thru a dozen times
looking for things to try... I just couldn't absorb it all at once).

When I tried it in verbose mode, I noticed that it sat for 60 seconds,
then came back and complained that my hostname wasn't valid, then
continued and sent the email (showing the communications with the mail
server).

I had seen notes about this being a potential problem, so I looked up how
to disable sendmail's DNS checking, and I thought I had done it. I also
had sendmail set to just queue the messages for later delivery, and
figured that should also prevent the delay from happening.

I guess I was wrong. As soon as I changed my hostname in my rc.conf to
something that has a valid DNS entry, sendmail started processing and
sending the email as soon as the <crlf>.<crlf> was hit.

I'll go back later and change my hostname to something I want it to be,
once I put thru a new DNS entry for it.

The odd thing is, I have another mac68k NetBSD machine, and it doesn't
seem to have this problem. It is 1.5.2 with whatever version of sendmail
that comes with that version of NetBSD. It too has a hostname that isn't
valid, but it doesn't have the delay in sendmail. I also noticed that it
doesn't attempt to use just the hostname, but rather prepends the
hostname with the machine's domain. That might make it a valid DNS entry
as that domain might have a wildcard entry. For some reason the trouble
machine doesn't do that hostname.domain construction and tries to use
just the hostname.

For now, I am chalking it up to a difference in the versions of sendmail.
Since I have it working, figuring out exactly why it doesn't act the same
way as another machine can be left for a day that I have nothing to do.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>