Subject: Re: MIT's cgiemail CGI
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/2003 15:56:17
>Depending on the setup, it will try to deliver immediately before queuing
>the mail. If you don't run sendmail as a daemon, the queue will never be
>flushed (unless you 'sendmail -q' in a cron job).

I bet that is what is happening to me. The CGI is probably waiting until
SendMail has finished processing the message. Since SendMail isn't
running as a daemon, that processing is probably seen as finishing the
email send instead of the much quicker tossing it into the queue.

>Do you have sendmail set up to deliver directly, or to a smarthost? In the
>latter case, it should not need to do any DNS lookups. This would be
>similar to my setup: I do smtp locally but use uucp for outgoing mail so
>any DNS queries are pointless.

I have sendmail setup however it comes from an install of NetBSD 1.6. I
haven't made any changes to sendmail. So I kind of assume that means it
is trying to deliver directly since I can't see how it would know about
my mail server. I can see that as taking the 30 seconds I am seeing as it
has to do an MX resolution of the address, connect to the mail server,
send the mail, then report back that it has finished.

Looks like I am off to a sendmail site to find out how best to handle
this (since I expect to use the cgi quite a bit, I would think running it
as a daemon would be easiest/best... but I have to now find out how to
disable it from listening for SMTP connections from the outside).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>