Subject: Re: MIT's cgiemail CGI
To: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/2003 21:05:22
At 16:17 Uhr -0500 4.4.2003, chris wrote:
>>Sounds like a DNS related problem... Are you on a permenent internet
>>connection, or dialup? If the latter, it takes some work to have sendmail
>>queue incoming mail and not perform any DNS inquiries on the addresses in
>>the headers.
>
>>From the looks of the MIT directions for cgiemail, it shouldn't matter if
>SendMail is slow in actually sending the message.
>
>Does SendMail do any DNS lookups before accepting the message into the
>queue? (I am on a 24x7 DSL connection)

Depending on the setup, it will try to deliver immediately before queuing
the mail. If you don't run sendmail as a daemon, the queue will never be
flushed (unless you 'sendmail -q' in a cron job).

Do you have sendmail set up to deliver directly, or to a smarthost? In the
latter case, it should not need to do any DNS lookups. This would be
similar to my setup: I do smtp locally but use uucp for outgoing mail so
any DNS queries are pointless.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign