Subject: Re: SCSI Read Error #5
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/2003 22:08:56
>Is this in the Installer or in the sysinst kernel?
>
>How big is the drive you're installing to? I had this error when I installed
>on a 2GB partition, and got around it by installing base as far as it would
>go, cpin'ing all the rest of the .tar files, booting single user, and
>un-tarring everything on the flip side. However, I thought this bug was fixed
>some time ago ... ?

I was trying to install on a 2.16 gig drive. I had it setup with a bit
over 2g for Root/Usr, 64 MB swap (with 64 MB RAM installed), and the
remaining 10ish MB for Mac HFS.

I tried moving the install to another hard drive to see if the CD drive
was the problem, and I tried upping the memory for the installer (and
tried both versions of the installer, h and g).

In the end, I decided it was simply because of the partition being larger
than 1g. So to solve the problem, I changed to a 1g drive and made my
Root/Usr partition a bit under 1g (about 950000). I felt I wasn't ready
to do battle with manually installing the rest of the base.tgz file. I'm
not comfortable enough with it to have tried, and I need to get this
machine up and running as fast as possible (if all goes well, it will be
up with Apache and online hosting a web site tomorrow... I left work with
it installing the tgz files on the new drive).

I'll battle the 2 gig drive some other day. Probably my next install I'll
use it and learn how to get around the bug.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>