Subject: Re: SCSI Read Error #5
To: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/2003 09:48:54
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, chris wrote:

> Twice now I have gotten the error SCSIRead() #5 while trying to install
> NetBSD on a Quadra 610. Both times it has failed at the exact same file
> (/usr/share/doc/usd/03.shell in the base.tgz file). Once it hits that
> error, it stops doing anything, and I have to reboot (I have mouse
> control, but I can't click out of the Installer, so I have to force a
> reboot).
>
> Is this a hint of a problem, or should I assume my CD that the install
> files are being read from is bad. This is 1.5.2 that I am trying to
> install, so I could do with updating my CD to 1.6 anyway. Just before I
> go thru the trouble of downloading the files and burning a new CD, I
> wanted to see if it was my CD or something else.

Please check the FAQ, or google for the scsi message. I had this same
problem. It only happens on Quantum drives, IIRC> Anyway, there is a
workaround of manually untarring (or pax) the rest of the files. THis is
all described online.

Good luck,

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?