Subject: Re: upgrade question
To: til <netbsd@handlanger.de>
From: Bruce Harada <bruce@ask.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/2003 01:42:58
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:00:57 +0100
til <netbsd@handlanger.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the answers regarding festival. i have another question, this
> time regarding the update procedure on netbsd systems. i noticed that i
> have a slightly outdated openssh version running. how can i upgrade openssh
> without locking myself out of the system ? i think other packaging systems
> like the one on debian linux allow upgrading an existing package. i didn't
> find this feature in netbsd. should i turn on telnet then do the upgrade
> and switch it off again or is there an easier way ?

A method I seem to recall using on a box to which I only had remote access was
to kick off another sshd on a non-standard port with the -p option, build and
install the newer version, start it up (on the standard port) and try to
access it. If it works, login and kill the first sshd. If it doesn't work,
login on the non-standard port and downgrade.