Subject: Re: Help! Kernel Panic on Boot - Please!
To: Brian Heath <brians-lists@bkheath.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/2003 10:48:59
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Brian Heath wrote:

> 36 Hours ago I received a kernel panic in the middle of the night. This
> occurred on a Quadra 700 running NetBSD 1.5.2 that has been running
> relatively reliably for the last year and a half. Now I can no longer boot
> the machine. I am trying to figure out what my options are at this point.
> The message I get when it drops into the debugger is:
>
> root file system type: ffs
> panic: ffs_read: type 0
> stopped in sh at       _cpu_Debugger+0x6:      unlk      a6
> db>
>
> When I do a trace, I get messages involving ffs_read, vn_read, dofileread,
> sys_read, syscall, and trap0. I don't have anyway currently to copy and past
> the trace messages which is why I'm not reporting all the trace info. If
> there's more there that will help decipher what is going on, let me know and
> I'll gladly type it all into a message and send it out.

	It sounds like your root partition has become corrupted.
	You could try booting a 1.6 install kernel with sysinst
	ramdisk, exiting to the shell and running fsck.

> The machine boots into the MacOS just fine. I then run the booter which
> seems to go along fine until it hits the above section. I can use mini shell
> in the installer to look at the drive and everything there seems fine. I
> even tried reloading the kernel.tgz and base.tgz to see if that would
> replace some corrupt files. But that didn't make any difference.

	That is genrally a very risky move if the filesystem is corrupt -
	it can end up significantly increasing the corruption.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --