Subject: Re: Q700 Audio
To: Andy Ball <ball@invalid.null>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/2003 11:34:45
At 11:13 PM -0600 1/22/03, Andy Ball wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Looking at my Quadra 700 sitting on the shelf, I'm wondering
>about its audio jacks.  Apple's Web site describes it as
>having an "Omni" type Mic, I don't know whether this means a
>PlainTalk mic (i.e. whether my Q700 has a line-level input).

Omni is omnidirectional, meaning it listens to the entire room.
PlainTalk mics were unidirectional, meaning that they only listen to
what is pointed directly in front of them.  This was necessary for
ensuring the Mac would only listen to its user instead of background
noise. The Q700 was years before PlainTalk, which debuted in the
LC520 Edu and [Q|C]840/660AV (the 700 & 900 were the first Quadras).

>It also mentions a "Speaker" port. Would this be a nice line
>-level output or some awkward amplified signal?

Given its name, amplified...generally, when referring to audio
outputs, it's either line-level, or it is speaker-level. It is likely
just a different name for a headphone jack...they needed a different
name for when they had a convenient jack in the front (headphone) as
well as the jack in the rear (speaker).

>   Am I right
>in assuming that the output is mono?  Is it mono on a mono
>3.5mm jack, or the same output on both channels of a stereo
>3.5mm one?

It is a stereo mini jack with a stereo output signal for the speaker
jack. The mic jack is a mono mic-level jack.

HTH
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.