Subject: Re: compiler error (was Re: gcc ?!?)
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/2003 11:14:56
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:35:37PM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Good, Allen! there is always a difference between a wannabe unix user and an
> experienced one... this was it. "unlimit" without any parameters frees every
> limit and both incriminated files compiled OK.

Cool.

> What is this memory limit concretely? something like a "quota" on the ram?

That's a pretty good way of looking at it.  It's basically a way to
limit system usage on a per-process/per-user basis.

> I hoped you aid in ram limitation whould help the compile of GNUStep also.
> But the Kernel Panic with "out of address space" remains when configure
> checks for "mmap".

Bogus.  I don't have time to look at this.  Can you file a PR?  Or have
you already done so?  Maybe someone else will fix this--I don't see any
time in my near future...  :-/

> A Kernel Panic is never a good thing...

I agree.  But sometimes I envy the kernel's ability to just panic and
wait for further instructions.  I'd sometimes like to be able to do that
myself.  ;-)

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...