Subject: Re: pkg_install update
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/2003 21:42:26
on 1/21/03 4:00 PM, Frederick Bruckman at fredb@immanent.net wrote:

> That's interesting. I checked XFree 4 on mac68k a while ago, and found
> that everything works fine, except you don't get an X server. What
> sort of X server do they have on debian? One that can do plugins,
> understands "/etc/X11/XF86Config", and does color, or the same crappy
> old B&W one?

it understands XF86Config and definitely does color.

Well, I must admit that the keyboard mocks up keys are wrong and I don't get
2&3 mouse buttons) and the color palette is totally wrong, I don't know how
much I fixed about this in XF86Config, but anyway it takes soo much to start
up...
I have another problme, linux is on a q950 while BSD on a q610 buyt they do
share the same monitor, network and keyboard so I have to plug in the one or
the other. I'd prefer to have my q950 which is fast and stable and which I
still use with MacOS too. But q950 support under NetBSD... ;)

apropos, how is the X situation now with 1.6 ? I am just compiling happily
some window managers so I have to get a useful color, don't I deserve? The
b/w X included is btw faster than the linux one in b/w, but having no choice
is bad.

i REALLY hope to get GNUstep working and I'd appreciate everyone helping me.
I want to learn to use that thing.

-ric

PS: i tried to compile blackbox WM... and I got an internal compiler
error!!! I make a distclean and try again. If it persist I'll report it,
also to know, since I think there are binary packages for everything, so I I
do wonder how they got built

PPS: is there a way to tell the make when it compiles to optimize for my
CPU? like 040? or is it automatic?