Subject: Re: pkg_install update
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/2003 09:00:34
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> on 1/20/03 9:42 PM, Frederick Bruckman at fredb@immanent.net wrote:
>
> > Sounds like ``.include "../../graphics/xpm/buildlink2.mk"'' is missing
> > from the novawm/Makefile. Try it with that added, just before the last
> > .include.

> This time it checks for xpm on make. And it compiled and installed OK.
> So Amitai needs only to add your suggestion to have it work.

Amitai actually checked in the fix before I sent my reply. ;-)

> > Not so strange. XFree86 4.x includes xpm, but mac68k still uses
> > XFree86 3.3.x, which doesn't.
> >
> > It's not surprising that this got missed, now that the significant
> > ports have switched to XFree 4.
>
> I see... I have XFree 4 on my other quadra running debian Linux and it takes
> like two minutes to start up, has a sluggish performance... I hope they will
> optimize that thing more.

That's interesting. I checked XFree 4 on mac68k a while ago, and found
that everything works fine, except you don't get an X server. What
sort of X server do they have on debian? One that can do plugins,
understands "/etc/X11/XF86Config", and does color, or the same crappy
old B&W one?

Frederick