Subject: Re: Mac68K install
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/2003 23:52:57
At 12:13 AM +0100 1/15/03, Hauke Fath wrote:
>At 23:58 Uhr +0100 14.1.2003, Mattias Sandstrom wrote:
>>Hauke Fath wrote:
>>>  Once you have the kernel on the harddisk, you can create a boot diskette
>>>  and replace the Finder with the booter, and boot from that.
>>
>>true, that's what i was thinking of. i didn't take the kernel image
>>itself into account, but couldn't you just put the installer on the
>>first disk and the kernel on a second one?
>
>With a second floppy drive, yes. Otherwise, you'd have umpteen disk
>changes, since the Mac goes to the system file for resources fairly often.
>
>>of course if the bsd install program can't use ftp (i though 1.6 could)
>>it doesn't matter anyway...
>
>I have added a tftp client. But since there is no IP stack in System 7, you
>need MacTCP for that (~120K), and the ethernet driver (~40K).
>
>IIRC, a minimal System file plus the booter leaves less than 40K on a HD
>floppy. Now, if we could boot from System 6, we could talk...

Well, as long as you can have AFP services running on another machine
(whether netatalk or another Mac), you can probably use the NAD disk
image from Aple. That contains MacOS 7.5, the ethernet driver and the
AppleShare client. From there, you could put the install kernel and
booter on an AppleShare-accessable volume somewhere on the network.

Just a thought,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.