Subject: Re: Mac68K install
To: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/2003 00:13:29
At 23:58 Uhr +0100 14.1.2003, Mattias Sandstrom wrote:
>Hauke Fath wrote:
>> Once you have the kernel on the harddisk, you can create a boot diskette
>> and replace the Finder with the booter, and boot from that.
>
>true, that's what i was thinking of. i didn't take the kernel image
>itself into account, but couldn't you just put the installer on the
>first disk and the kernel on a second one?

With a second floppy drive, yes. Otherwise, you'd have umpteen disk
changes, since the Mac goes to the system file for resources fairly often.

>of course if the bsd install program can't use ftp (i though 1.6 could)
>it doesn't matter anyway...

I have added a tftp client. But since there is no IP stack in System 7, you
need MacTCP for that (~120K), and the ethernet driver (~40K).

IIRC, a minimal System file plus the booter leaves less than 40K on a HD
floppy. Now, if we could boot from System 6, we could talk...

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email