Subject: Re: Mac68K install
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: J. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/2003 13:56:18
>Ajai Khattri wrote:
>>Is it possible to install NetBSD on a Mac SE30 on a hard-drive with no OS
>>on it? i.e. is it possible to make a boot disk and install via FTP?
>
>it should work i guess, but you would have to always reboot from the
>disk, since netbsd only boots from within mac os.
>
>	/matt

Have a look at the FAQ @ www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k

Also, http://www.macunix.net:443/

(Put the port number after it- it seems to need it.  Link came from
www.netbsd.org/Ports?mac68k)

This second one has what you need to create a boot disk with a
minimal MacOS.  From my reading of the docs, the NetBSD booter needs
MacOS to actually start up the Mac hardware and then passes off to
NetBSD. Also, regarding FTP installs. here's what the INSTALL doc on
www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k says:

"Installation is currently only supported from the local Macintosh
hard drive, from a CD-ROM, or from an AppleShare volume (however, you
may upgrade a system from within NetBSD ; see the section on
upgrading for more details). If you are installing from a local hard
drive, this means that you'll need at least enough room for the
largest file that you will have to install. This is the 15.2 MB
base.tgz file. There has been talk of allowing an install from split
files. If you have the time, desire, and knowledge, please feel free
to add that functionality"

So, you would format your HD, add a minimal MacOS to boot the
hardware and put a copy of the Booter in the MacOS partition, set to
autoboot to NetBSD and from there it's all NetBSD.

NetBSD/mac68k has worked well for me.  I moved to PowerPC hardware so
no longer use it but it was a winner for me for 5 years.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey E. Benedict                     raoul@olympus.net

"It is true that science can be done in the space station. But science
can also be done dressed in a clown suit atop a large Ferris wheel."
         -- The Economist