Subject: Re: Max RAM?
To: Ajai Khattri" , "NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/2003 16:43:43
>According to Apple's tech reference, the Mac SE 30 can use up to 4Mb RAM
>max. Is this a hardware or OS limitation? If NetBSD can use more, what is the
>maximum I can use?

The SE/30 is a max of 32 mb according to Apple (8 slots, 4 MB each slot).
If you are seeing a tech note that says 4 MB, then you are looking at a
listing for the SE not the SE/30 (despite the similar name, they are two
very different machines).

And FYI: I have heard reports that the SE/30 can actually use a max of
128 MB of ram (8 slots, 16 MB each slot). I myself have never tried it,
but I have heard from others that have, and they say it works just fine.
Knowing that Apple writes their specs for many machines based on the max
that can be installed and tested at the time the machine is developed, it
doesn't surprise me in the least it can really handle 128 MB. 16 MB chips
probably didn't exist when the SE/30 was released.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>