Subject: Re: do kernels differ?
To: Marc Coevoet <mcv@wanadoo.be>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2003 15:54:48
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Marc Coevoet wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a difference between kernels in
>
> ftp://ftp2.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/mac68k/binary/kernel/
> netbsd-GENERIC.gz
> or
> ftp://ftp2.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/mac68k/binary/sets/kern-
> GENERIC.tgz

The only difference should be the format. In other words, there should
be no difference once both are expanded to "netbsd". The ".tgz"  form
is the only one that can be installed by selecting it with the Mac OS
installer (but you could use "cpin" in the installer for the other);
the ".gz" form is the only one that can be booted from directly (but
you could untar the other).

Frederick