Subject: Re: network printing - SE/30 and LW 4/600
To: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/2003 17:39:11
At 9:26 Uhr -0600 6.1.2003, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
>I'd like to use my SE/30 as a network print server for my LaserWriter 4/600.
>Seems like a good use for it.  Before I chase down many blind alleys,
>I'd like to know if this is even possible.  Is it?

In principle - yes.

>Can anyone point me to resources on how to do this sort of thing?

What interfaces does the LW 4/600 have? Ethernet? RS422/Localtalk?

If the former, you can set up Netatalk and print via pap. If the latter,
you can either get a hardware laserwriter bridge and continue like above,
or you can attach the printer via RS422 (that would be 19k2 bps, most
likely) and set up a lpd printer queue. Examples should be in the mailing
list archives (best accessible via groups.google.com).

Either way, it's a bit of work, but feasible.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email