Subject: Re: /dev/ttyE0 problem
To: Conrad J. Rehill <conrad@rehill.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/2003 10:56:29
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Conrad J. Rehill wrote:

> I'm trying to get 1.6 running on a Quadra 650 and haven't been able to
> boot into multi-user mode.  It seems that I get to a point in the startup
> process where I get a message that says something like:
>
> /dev/ttyE0: device not configured
>
> and then hangs.  I looked through some archive mail lists and it looks
> like this problem was documented with the 1.5 distribution, for which a
> a few postings indicated that running the MAKEDEV script in /dev would
> solve the problem.  No luck with me.

There's another possibility, that the wscons driver is not configured,
or not working at the resolution you've booted into. Does "dmesg" show
a "wsdisplay0" device? What does "dmesg | grep -3 ^ws" yield? If no
"wsdisplay0", try adjusting the resolution and depth in the Booter.
For my Q630, I usually use 800x600, 256 color or 800x600, 1-bit color.

Frederick