Subject: LaserWriter 630 with NetBSD???
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/2002 18:07:10
Greetings,
I've been using CUPS with NetBSD/mac68k to print to various HP
printers. This works, but it can be (usually is) excruciatingly slow. I
think I'm being killed by the rendering of PostScript for these
printers so I'm thinking of adding a PS printer to my network. A used
LaserWriter 630 looks attractive since it has a built-in Ethernet
interface and they're fairly inexpensive.

Can anyone tell me how one assigns an IP address to one of these
beasts? Does it use bootp to query for an address? Is there some other
mechanism to assign a static address (they were MD'd in 1994, so DHCP
is probably a stretch)? The docs for the LW 630 available from Apple's
web site only mention EtherTalk and never IP. Searching their Knowledge
Base turns up one oblique reference to another LaserWriter that uses
bootp.

Does anyone have experience with this printer? Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark