Subject: Re: Cabletron ethernet on an SE/30
To: Thomas Carlson <tcarls@myback40.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/2002 17:05:10
Hi,

> Thanks, Olof, for making your pre-compliled kernel available to me.  I set
> the booter to find the file on my Mac partition and it booted up fine.
> After configuring my network I was able to ping my server successfully.

Good to hear!

> The link you gave me:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2001/02/24/0005.html on how to
> complile my own kernel doesn't work any more, however.

This was just fixed; the mail archive is now running off of the main
NetBSD www server.

I've looked at that post, and I will try to figure out how to make the
code automatically use the right values when it finds a Cabletron card.

> Other than the
> Kernel Compiling HOWTO available on the NetBSD/mac68k website, is there any
> other HOWTO out there that would help a real newbie like myself know what
> to do?

Hmmm. There should be a few around. There's a Perl program in pkgsrc that
strips a kernel config file down to only the hardware that appears in
dmesg, and small edits like the one mentioned in the post at the link
above can be done with any editor. Just get a source tree (sup is pretty
easy to set up for NetBSD 1.5; 1.6 comes with cvs...), trim down a kernel
config file, and start compiling. Compiling is a good way to test your
hardware and memory - if your machine compiles and finishes for 20 or more
hours straight, it's pretty safe to say that the hardware is in good
order.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs